Women's Healthcare Partners is dedicated to providing women's health services to protect your health at any age. At Women's Healthcare Partners we provide treatment and follow up care for many gynecological conditions.
Your annual exam is your opportunity to review any concerns you may have, discuss medications and for your provider to offer preventative screenings. Depending on your age or personal health history your exam may include the following:
Please feel free to make an appointment with any of our providers for your annual exam.
We understand that it can be scary to find out that your pap smear was abnormal. Most abnormal paps require no medical intervention other than close observation by your provider. If your pap is abnormal, your gyn provider is likely to schedule a colposcopy to further assess the cervix under magnification. During the colposcopy, Dr. Ottman may take biopsies to rule out precancerous changes. Colposcopies with or without biopsies cause minimal pain and you will be able to resume your normal activities on the same day.
Most abnormal pap smears are caused by HPV (human papilloma virus). There are many strains of HPV and most have no effect on the body. Of those that do, some strains may cause genital warts, cervical dysplasia, or cervical cancer.
Your provider can advise as to when it is appropriate to have a pap test.
HPV (human papilloma virus), is a viral infection spread through skin to skin sexual contact. Symptoms and signs of HPV often take weeks, months or even years to show. Sometimes no signs or symptoms are present at all. 90% of the time the body's immune system will clear the virus on its own. The other 10% of the time, the human papillomavirus can cause genital warts, cervical, anal or throat cancers.
HPV itself does not have a cure, but there are treatments for the health problems it causes. There are many treatment choices for genital warts. But even after the warts are treated, the virus might still be there and may be passed on to others. If genital warts are not treated they may go away, stay the same, or increase in size or number. All women should get a Pap smear regularly. The Pap test looks for cell changes caused by HPV. The test finds cell changes early -- so the cervix can be treated before the cells turn into cancer. This test can also find cancer in its early stages so it can be treated before it becomes too serious.
There now are vaccines that may help prevent HPV. The vaccines are Gardasil and Cervarix. These vaccines mimic the disease and create resistance. These vaccines are NOT a live or a dead virus. It prevents infection with HPV types 6, 11, 16 and 18. Cervarix prevents infection with HPV types 16 and 18. These HPV vaccines are now available and recommended for girls, women, boys and men ages 9-26. Because of the potential dangers of treating cervical dysplasia or developing cervical cancer we strongly recommend vaccination for every one indicated.
There are many causes of pelvic pain and our experienced providers are here to help you. Some common causes of pelvic pain include:
If you have acute or chronic pelvic pain, our team at Women's Healthcare Partners is here to help coordinate a complete evaluation and guide you through all possible treatment options.
For more info on endometriosis go to www.endofacts.com.
Unfortunately, involuntary loss of urine is all too common. There are different types of incontinence and they include:
In order to diagnose incontinence, a thorough history is obtained as well as a gynecological exam. Treatments options vary according to your individual needs and may include medication, weight loss, treatment of chronic cough, physical therapy and surgery. If you are experiencing these problems, make an appointment with a provider at Women's Healthcare Partners today.
Dr. Ottman is pleased to offer many procedures in the office:
Dr. Ottman has privileges to perform surgeries at:
Dr. Ottman has years of experience and offers many surgical options including minimally invasive surgery and daVinci robotic surgery.